Saturday, January 21, 2012

number 2!

And this week ... I choose to reflect on family theories, but not because I have to or because it's what we are studying. I actually like all the "boring" theories we are studying in this class and in my FAML 400 class with Br. Gardner, Family Theories and Dynamics. I am trying to learn as much as I can about them because I plan on using them and applying them someday to my professional life/career. Also, I can see great application to my own personal life/marriage/family. This week I have covered Family Systems Theory and Family Developmental Theory in my 2 classes, and I really like them both. As a counseling psychologist of some sort in the future, I plan on using Family Developmental Theory to gauge where and individual/couple/family is with only a limited amount of information about them, and then delving into the systems with Family Systems Theory ... and of course the other theories that I will learn here and put into practice in Grad School and at internships and stuff ... because there are definitely a plethora, yea, a cornucopia, yea, a multitude, of theories/paradigms/lenses to use and put into practice to help people.

Also, we have been having a really hard time getting both of our kids to sleep through the night, mostly because they are teething and/or sick! SO ... the other day I was walking from the Clarke to my car in the free parking lot on the far south end of campus, and I passed through the Benson. I followed these 2 people who were having an interesting conversation about their schedules (shop talk, and the interesting part was just the communication dynamics), and they walked to the greenhouses and then out towards the orchards/Ag building. As I was slowing down behind them, I noticed the BYU-Idaho Plant Shop, and decided to go in and buy Rachel a plant or some flowers. I was initially looking for some lilies (her fav), but I saw some nice pink tulips, and I decided to go with them. She loved them, and they are just now blooming into full bloom! Yes I am tooting my own horn, but ... this is my blog, and if Rachel used it more frequently (haha!), she would most assuredly write about her flowers. Anyway, till next time!

No comments: